Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, April 5, 2010

Music Monday:Dance Little Sister by Terence Trent D'Arby


"Words of love are not like messages made in sidewalk chalk to be washed away by: More indelible, they are written by kindness on the chambers of the heart"

I had quite a tough time selecting and choosing a video between Terence Trent D'Arby and Milli Vanilli for this week Music Monday as I love both their videos. I am trying to travel back into time with this song to the good old 80Th where I must admit here that it was the best period of my life. I was young and the music and songs were great during those days. The music and songs of today can never beat or challenge the 80Th. I want back the 80Th!

In this video, there are several other great songs that follow and another favourites of mine are "Wishing Well", "Sign Your Name Across My Heart" and "Delicate". In the song "Delicate" you will find Trent D'Arby duet with Des'ree, such a beautiful combination!


"HAPPY MUSIC MONDAY"

Enjoy it!

Visit myYouTube Channel for more selections:

http://www.youtube.com/user/lilyarbee





Biography:

A graduate of DeLand High School, Terence Trent Howard was born in Manhattan, New York and joined the army after leaving college, serving in Elvis Presley’s old regiment in Germany. He was formally discharged by the army in 1983 after going absent without leave. While in Germany, he also worked with the band The Touch , releasing an album of material called Love On Time (1984). It was later re-issued in 1989 as Early Works after D’Arby’s world-wide success as a solo artist. In 1986 he left Germany for London, where he briefly joined the band The Bojangels, after which he gained a recording deal.

His debut solo album, Introducing the Hardline According to Terence Trent D’Arby, released in 1987, is his best-known and, in commercial terms, most successful work. The album, which produced such hits as “If You Let Me Stay” “Wishing Well” “Dance Little Sister” and “Sign Your Name” sold over a million copies in the first three days of its release, and its sales currently total over 12 million. The album also earned D’Arby a Grammy Award in March 1988 in the category Best R&B Vocal Performance, Male. In that same year, D’Arby earned three Soul Train Award nominations for Male Album of the Year (Introducing the Hardline According to Terence Trent D’Arby), Male Single of the Year (Wishing Well), and Best New Artist.

D’Arby’s follow-up was the somewhat more experimental and serious Neither Fish Nor Flesh: A Soundtrack of Love, Faith, Hope & Destruction (1989). It gathered generally hostile reviews from the critics, and was not commercially as successful as its predecessor. Nevertheless, it sold over 2 millions copies.

It took four more years and a move to Los Angeles until his next project, Symphony or Damn: Exploring the Tension Inside the Sweetness (1993) was released. The record touched many of the issues that had been raised also in Neither Fish Nor Flesh, but was musically more straightforward and rocky than its predecessors. It gathered favourable reviews and gained much airplay in major music stations.

In 1995 D’Arby released Vibrator, which largely followed Symphony or Damn in its musical direction. Also it was well received, but like the previous album, failed to reinstate the artist back to the public status that he had enjoyed at the time of his first release.

During the 1990s the relations between the artist and his record label Columbia Records had became strained, eventually leading to the artist’s departure in 1996. This was followed by a four-year spell in Java Records, during which he recorded Terence Trent D’Arby’s Solar Return, which however was not released. In 2000, he bought the rights to his unreleased album, and left the record company as well as his then-management-team Lippman Entertainment.

In 1999, D’Arby was briefly hired by INXS to replace his friend, late vocalist Michael Hutchence, so the band could play at the opening of facilities for the Sydney Olympics.

Following a series of dreams, the artist adopted the name Sananda Maitreya. His name was legally changed to that on October 4, 2001.

2001 also saw Maitreya moving back to Europe and Germany, as he resettled in Munich and started his own independent record label, Treehouse Pub. The year also marked his first album release in six years, as the unreleased Terence Trent D’Arby’s Solar Return was revamped into Wildcard. The album, which received a warm critical welcome, was at first available for free through his website, and later gained also a commercial release through a one-album distribution deal with Universal Music.

In 2002 Maitreya moved to Milan, Italy, and began working on his next project, Angels & Vampires - Volume I. Rough demo versions of the songs were initially released through Weedshare, allowing the fans to get a glimpse of the work as it evolved. In July 29, 2005, the fully mastered album was finally released through his webshop utilizing the mp3 format.

In July 2005 Maitreya started working on Angels & Vampires - Volume II, he released chapter after chapter online as soon he finished recording the songs. On April 29, 2006 he released the fully finished and mastered album in his webshop.


In 2006 Maitreya released Angels & Vampires - Volume II and started again touring at the Blue Note Milano, with 2 awesome concerts on Nov 15th and nov 16th 2006 :


Film career :
Maitreya has appeared in two films, as well the TV series Shake, Rattle And Roll where he played the part of Jackie Wilson. His music has also been included on several movie soundtracks, most notably as the theme song of 1991’s Frankie and Johnny.


Names :
Sananda Maitreya was born as Terence Trent Howard. His stage name, Terence Trent D’Arby, came from taking his adoptive father’s, James Benjamin Darby’s, family name, and including an apostrophe. The name Sananda Maitreya, on the other hand, purportedly came to the artist in a series of dreams, after which he considered it to reflect his present self better than his stage name. Said Maitreya: “After intense pain I meditated for a new spirit, a new will, a new identity.” Now Sananda Maitreya is his new artist name.
Official Website: : http://www.sanandamaitreya.com/





Come join Music Monday and share your songs with us. Rules are simple. Leave ONLY the actual post link here and grab the code below and place it at your blog entry. You can grab this code at LadyJava's Lounge Please note these links are STRICTLY for Music Monday participants only. All others will be deleted without prejudice.

PS: Because of spamming purposes, the linky will be closed on Thursday of each week at midnight, Malaysian Time. Thank you!



First two commenters get my Linky love



Wishing on a Falling StarLadyJava Life's Pages

24 comments:

Mariuca said...

:* :* :*

Mariuca said...

Happy MM Lil!! 8-) 8-) 8-)

LadyJava said...

:* :*

Monica said...

:* :* :*

Monica said...

hey nice song Lily! i enjoyed the video 8-) 8-)

LadyJava said...

Happy MM Lil!!!
eh why lah your blogger commenting system also kick in ni? did you move your widget around Lily??

Mariuca said...

Very cool choice dis week Lil, I love it! And I love Terrence Trent!! :* :* :*

Mariuca said...

Tgh buat apa tu?? *DONT_KNOW* *DONT_KNOW* :-D :-D

Monica said...

Happy MM Lily! :* :* :*

Lil said...

:* :* :* :*

Lil said...

Happy Music Monday to you too Marzie. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Lil said...

:* :* :*

Lil said...

Happy Music Monday to you too dearest LadyJava.

I thought bad line, when I try to come to my comment box ada problem ealier, so I deleted part of my articles to shorten it, I did not move anything but strange lah i can hear a voice, I know must be the ad appearing sometimes before I can get my blog, ada unwanted ad appearing before I get my blog, how can this happened? How to get rid of it??? =-O =-O =-O =-O >:o >:o >:o >:o

Lil said...

:* :* :*

Lil said...

Thanks for visiting and commenting Monica, glad you enjoyed this song too. :* :* :*

Lil said...

Glad you like it Marzie. You tau ada Advertisement yg tak di undang dok kacau and ganggu I, lately I noticed bila I clicked to my blog, ada this Yobi TV lah, Scanner ehtah apa2 lah appeared and then I have to click skip in order to come to my blog, I must tell LadyJava abt this. Fed up lah, no wonder tadi ada problem, and now I can hear that same voice, this lady at Yogi TV, spoilt my mood! >:o >:o >:o

Lil said...

Glad you like it Marzie. You tau ada Advertisement yg tak di undang dok kacau and ganggu I, lately I noticed bila I clicked to my blog, ada this Yobi TV lah, Scanner ehtah apa2 lah appeared and then I have to click skip in order to come to my blog, I must tell LadyJava abt this. Fed up lah, no wonder tadi ada problem, and now I can hear that same voice, this lady at Yogi TV, spoilt my mood! >:o >:o >:o

Lil said...

:-D :-D trying to answer all comments and put up your badge and LadyJava's immediately together with the score points.

Hugzz and good night, sleep tight, dah morning pun, so good morning dear. :* :* :*

LadyJava said...

Hmm..
Lil.. try removing that paid to promote banner at the bottom of your blog..
I think that might be the culprit

Lil said...

Ok dear, thanks.

Lil said...

Happy Music Monday Liz, I will try to visit you too dear. :) ;) 8-) :*

Lil said...

Liz, do you have a website or a blog for me to visit you too? :)

David Funk said...

Hi Lily!

I don't think I've heard this one before, but it is a good choice for you this week on MM!

Happy MM my friend! ;) :)

Lil said...

Thanks David, I just got back from town and it is late evening now. I am a bit tired plus got to check the cats at my shelter again. If I cannot return your vist tonight, I will surely visit you back tomorrow. In the meantime, have a great week and do take care of your health for health is wealth!

Will see you at your blog soon my dear friend. Cheers! :) :) :) :)

Paid2YouTube.com

Snow White

Snow White

Thank You God

Diabella Love Cats' Site

Get paid To Promote at any Location
Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations